Mahindra Comviva Lowers Customers’ Project Costs by 5x with Oracle
By adopting MySQL Enterprise Edition for our mobile solutions, we can offer the same products to customers, but with a better backup strategy and 5x less costs than Postgres and Microsoft SQL Server. It also helped to enhance customer confidence and support business growth. — Amitabh Mishra, Technical Lead, Mahindra Comviva.
Mahindra Comviva Improves System Performance by 50x, Cuts Customers’ Project Costs by 5x, and Supports Growth with MySQL Enterprise Edition
Mahindra Comviva is a subsidiary of Tech Mahindra and a part of the US$19 Billion Mahindra Group. It develops and markets an extensive portfolio of mobility solutions—including mobile finance, internet and broadband, digital lifestyle, customer value management, messaging, and managed services—to over 130 mobile operators and financial institutions across 95 countries in Asia, Africa, the Middle East and Latin America.
Over the last 10 years, Mahindra Comviva used the legacy MySQL Community Edition to build and manage almost all applications. To support rapid growth in the global markets, the company decided that upgrading to MySQL Enterprise Edition would give it the performance and scalability improvements needed to support business-critical applications and reduce project costs for customers.
- Support service expansion to mobile operators by improving the performance and scalability of business-critical applications, such as messaging and customer value management solutions, and reducing implementation costs
- Ensure high availability and minimize disruption to customer interactions, such as consumers requesting data usage and billing information via the telecom customer’s call center
- Eliminate risk of data loss for customers by gaining ability to easily replicate and restore data, such as mobile recharge date, at a specific point in time
- Reduced customers’ hardware and licensing costs by 5x and gained competitive advantage—particularly in cost-sensitive African and Latin American markets—by adopting MySQL Enterprise Edition for business applications, such as digital lifestyle solutions
- Ensured availability of critical customer data, such as mobile renewal dates, and met service level agreements by using MySQL Enterprise Edition to rapidly replicate data from a master server to multiple slave servers, which also enabled automatic failover to slave servers in the event of a system failure
- Improved customer service, such as delivering new SMS solutions to telecom customers, by boosting application performance by 50x and increasing transaction rates, such as processing up to 4,000 transactions per second for a mobile solution
- Supported business growth by ensuring scalability for concurrent user connections and query executions with MySQL Enterprise Edition’s multi-threaded architecture and enhancing customer confidence to sustain performance as database size continues to grow—from existing 1.2 TB to 17 TB—in the future
- Enabled customers to provide uninterrupted service by using MySQL Enterprise Edition’s point-in-time recovery feature to quickly restore backups to a specific transaction or separate location, such as mobile billing enquiries in Mumbai or New Delhi
- Streamlined maintenance operations and ensured high service availability by deploying MySQL Enterprise Monitor and MySQL Query Analyzer to continuously monitor database performance and proactively identify issues before they impact system performance